Monday, December 20, 2010

It's Your Time.

Not a lot of hardcore kids seem to read my blog. So I'll leak the drawing for the 7" Noose is putting out on React! Records. Leave comments and let me know if you like it or hate it, or if you hate me or love me.

I've always loved Raymond Pettibon's drawings for Black Flag and The Minutemen. They seem bleak and urgent and not too over thought. I was struggling with a concept for our 7" and after talking with vocalist Bucky about different ideas and looking through various books I have documenting the history of hardcore trying to get inspired. I decided on the image because it contains the Noose and seemed simple enough. There's an obvious nod to "Everything Went Black" in there, and I wanted to identify with that era of hardcore punk.

Since we're a vegan straight edge band, people might think we are going to sound like Earth Crisis or something, but if you listen to us it's hard to come up with bands like Earth Crisis as an influence. So I wanted to distance us from that as much as I could. I'm trying to keep the band as unpolished as possible, and keep things in the spirit of early bands and the early feeling of hardcore, because I feel like there's too much emphasis on bands and music as a product. I hate how merch has become such an important part of hardcore and somehow I feel like the meaning of music gets lost in the mean time. Which is a strange coincidence because this drawing is going to be on a record that people will buy... but hopefully it can be considered art by some and not just some product that is purchased and then put in a bin and forgotten.

Thanks.

7 comments:

Sarah said...

love it and you!

Megan! said...

Like it, love you!

A. S. Kass said...

two thumbs up for both of you.

you nerds still sound like earth crisis, though.

THRASHQUATCH said...

i love you. and i still want a damn cassette...

Mike said...

I love the artwork, hate you.

Casper said...

if the hardcore kids don't read the blog, THEY FUCKIN SHOULD

nice artwork

jason said...

I dig it.