Friday, September 24, 2010

Managra.

In the mid 90's in Wisconsin, there was a pretty healthy emo/hardcore scene that produced alot of bands that to me really pushed the sound a bit further than a lot of what was going on in other parts of the country at the time, like San Diego. Managra are from the Waukesha area which is between Madison and Milwaukee on I-94, kind of a bigger small town but nothing too special. I remember being surprised by this band being from there because I couldn't recall there ever being anything going on there, especially not something this intense and well put together. They were hard to classify at the time because they mixed a lot of different influences. The somewhere between emo and hardcore is where Managra stood, which probably means they just wrote good songs and didn't care about fitting in with whatever fad had hit the larger scene around them. Watching them live was like watching a contained explosion in a rubber room, they expand and contract only to do it over again. It didn't ever seem to matter to them if there was an audience to watch them, they were playing and interacting with each other solely and ignoring everything outside of what they were doing as a band on stage at that moment.
Modern Day Remembrance was the only LP they put out. Though I have one of their 7"s as well and I think they put out stuff on comps too. It's a weird trip to my childhood listening to this record now and although Managra might not be the most influential band around, they're important to me and I think they need to get more recognition for the contribution to the Wisconsin hardcore scene.
There's a pretty good video of that someone put together by combining a few different pieces of footage from different shows to one of their songs that I've included so you can hear and see what I'm talking about. Managra was a band best seen live to get the full effect.

DOWNLOAD

1 comment:

DANA said...

Managra and Tintoretto were VERY good bands. I remember being super bummed at both of their last shows.

ps. that video is pretty much 100% how I remember every band of the 90s.